A Bit About the Church
At St. Michael's, we're something of a mixed bag. There's a deep love here of historic texts, and a contemplative approach to worship - so we still use the 1662 Book of Common prayer for our fortnightly Sunday communion. On the other hand, we enjoy a less traditional approach too. We believe faith comes alive when it is explored together, and becomes relevant when it connects with the world around us. So the weeks we don't have a communion service, we have an informal discussion of the Sundays readings, surrounded by a simple Celtic prayer. Once a month we're enjoying a less formal service as well, which usually has a guest speaker - often from a local charity or similar - making links between what happens at church, and in the rest of the world.
A Bit About the Building
The East window in creditted to William Wailes, whose work is seen in many West Yorkshire churches, including Ripon Cathedral.
The church building has seen some rough times - a storm in 1962 blew down the belfry, and the bells now bear the inscription '1844 recast 1966 following the disasterous storm February 1962.' On 10th Septmber 1973 the building suffered a fire in the vestry, and the destruction of the Altar Frontals, Vestments, Robes, Linen, Furnishings, and many records. The main body of the church suffered substantial smoke damage. It wasn't until Good Friday, 12th April, 1974 that rebuilding work began.
Repairs involved a number of improvements to the church, including installation of new lighting, carpetting, the altar was moved from its Eastward facing position.